Tuesday 19 March 2013

Preparing the Way



I am in possession of certain information that has shed light on some very strange activity on our little road these past couple of days.  There are those going about their daily business who are, I believe, completely ignorant of the portent of their activities. I am in fear of elucidating too much in case I am found in my shower a few days hence, having apparently killed myself with three shots to my head, all from different calibre bullets. Nevertheless I will let you in on a secret.
I live on a road of little significance. It is a single track affair for the main part, and merely serves to connect the dozen or so houses along its mile or so length, with the main road connecting two very small towns, more like villages actually. In the four plus years since we moved here I have seen only one council vehicle excepting the excellent weekly waste disposal operatives, (they used to be called dustbin men and I liked them). The one exception was the grit wagon which came for the first time a couple of months ago. It has not returned since.
However, both yesterday and today we have been treated to a visit by a road sweeper. I am not referring to a person armed with broom and bin, but to a large vehicle with scrubbers in front of the wheels, equipped to polish the edges of the road, removing every kind of weed, soil, litter, indeed all traces of detritus from our tiny little road. Why the sudden attention to a thoroughfare so little used, except by the few residents who live along it, plus the visitors to the nearby activity centre?
Because, and keep this to yourselves, we are expecting a visitor this week. Now I cannot divulge much more than this, and I can almost feel the Special Branch crosshairs fixed on me as I type, but I can say, one would need to address this person as, I believe, Your Royal Highness. Unfortunately they are not visiting me personally but I hope to be able to extend a jolly wave as they zip past in vehicle(s) unknown at time as yet also unknown.
But it’s all very hush hush. Only those being visited, myself, and my wife know about this.
Oh, and the BBC. But we know how that stellar organisation is the very soul of discretion.
I doubt very much the guys in the road sweeper have any idea who will be looking at the pristine fruit of their labours. I also doubt whether those viewing it have any idea that the road has been scrubbed just for their benefit. Only those of us in the know have the full picture of course. The way has been prepared for the royal visit. It is obvious to all of us who are expecting it.
Two thousand years ago a bunch of people in Jerusalem were expecting the arrival of royalty. It was their oft prophesied Messiah. When he entered Jerusalem, riding on the colt of a donkey, they all proclaimed, “Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!” A week later the same crowd had Him crucified. Today, those “in the know” are looking for the return of this Messiah. It has been promised, and ever since the New Testament was written, the followers of Jesus Christ have been expecting Him to return imminently. My question is, are we “preparing the way” for His return? Are we behaving as if He might return today, and are we telling people why we are living the way we are living?  Are we trying to live lives pleasing to God each day, making the road clear and straight for His return?
If there is so much attention to detail going into this flying visit by our royalty, how much more detail are the saints of the King of Kings meant to put into preparing the way for His return? If we look at the life of the man who prepared the way for Jesus’ first coming, John the Baptist, he devoted every part of his life to preaching the message of the coming Messiah. He was utterly spent in His service, and immediately after he proclaimed the great line, “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” he was taken into prison and beheaded. Talk about being spent for a cause!
Am I willing to be so spent preparing the way for His return? If it is worth polishing the road for the visit of one person, what is it worth doing for the return of the One who paid the ultimate price for all of my wrongdoing, and for “the sins of the world”?
I am looking forward to catching a glimpse of our royal visitor. I just hope the lads don’t mess up the road edges (if you know what I mean) right before someone arrives.I would hate to incur the wrath of the security services on that count.

Here they are at the end of our driveway. All they need are a couple of flags to wave.

So, are there any details in your own life, no matter how small, that need to be cleaned up before the King returns? Imagine for a moment it wasn't some time in the future. It was actually this week. Imagine you knew He was returning tomorrow. Would that change how you lived life today?




1 comment:

  1. Love it Russel. Hope you get the chance to say hi to her and have even a little chat. You'll be happy to know I've been reading a little Spurgeon lately. Talk about an inspired man of G-d! I am learning a ton! Praying for you brother.

    ReplyDelete